Glenwood Cemetery was established as a private cemetery in 1871 and opened for business in the summer of 1872.
Houstonians of the late 19th century considered Glenwood to be not only a cemetery but a landscaped park. Streetcars brought visitors to Glenwood on pleasant Sunday afternoons.
It is still a beautifully maintained destination near downtown Houston. It is a treasure trove of local history and includes graves of many of the area’s prominent founding citizens.